UnMentoring – Who should contact NAG and why
NAG’s new UnMentoring scheme is designed for all those working with the selection, acquisition or management of library resources – whether in a library or support service situation.
UnMentoring is suitable for staff at a variety of levels
- Staff new to the acquisitions and selection of information resources
- Staff seeking to consolidate and update their knowledge in these areas.
- Staff/service managers working in other areas of library operations who wish to learn more about this aspect or to extend their professional / career development
UnMentoring as the name suggests is very informal and it is your opportunity to drive the agenda. It will be facilitated by current practitioners, will be practical in nature, and will cover a wide range of day-to-day issues. You may have questions on the following or on topics we haven’t covered here; feel free to contact us about other topics too.
- Who does what? Roles and responsibilities of selector and purchaser.
- An understanding of the importance of effective and efficient working practices in the selection and acquisition of books, e books and related resources in both the public, academic or specialist sector.
- An understanding of how the supply chain can improve speedy and effective availability of resources for users.
- An understanding of the key issues involved in selection/identification of resources.
- An appreciation of the essential financial context to these operations.
- An understanding of library supply operations.
- An understanding of the contractual framework, tendering governing trading relationships between suppliers and libraries.
- Procurement and consortia.
- Confidence in talking about the supply chain with customers, colleagues and suppliers.
NAG Members can contact us by email and we will pair you with someone to begin your journey. You may only need one email or telephone conversation or you may find it’s useful to keep in touch; the decision is a mutual one.
Access to the unMentoring scheme is a new NAG member benefit. If you’re not sure whether your organisation is a NAG member, please email the office and we can easily check for you. If your employer is not a member, you can also join as a personal member from just £55 a year.